May 30, 2008

兵庫に翔びましょう!

山下翔央, Yamashita Shoon, Ya-Ya-yah
[the title, 兵庫に翔びましょう! (Hyôgo ni tobimashô!) means "let's fly to Hyôgo!". Although the usual kanji for "tobimasu", to fly, is this one: 飛 , I used the first kanji of Shoon's name, that has [to] as an alternative reading =)] As you know, there were 13 performances of "Full House" at the Globe Theater in Tokyo from May 2nd to May 11th, and there will be 4 more performances from today, May 30th, to June 1st at the Hyôgo Performing Arts Center (pic on the left), in the prefecture of Hyôgo.

Hyôgo is a bit far from Tokyo, as you can see on the map on the right, so even though it's work, for Shoon it will also be a bit of a vacation. =) On his latest entry on the Full House J-Web, he was happily planning on all the good things he was going to eat. XD
もうすぐ兵庫公演始まりますね。関西に行くのはかなり久しぶりなので、ワクワクしてます。美味しい物を沢山食べようと思います。
(rough translation) We'll be starting the Hyôgo performances soon. I'm excited; I haven't been to the Kansai area in a long time. And there are so many delicious things to eat there! (literally: "I'm going to eat a lot of delicious things.")
Apparently he eats a lot. XD On another Full House J-Web entry Kazama says that you can see Shoon eating all the time: during rehearsals, before the performances, after the performances... LOL It's good to know he has such a healthy apetite. =)

Murakami Hiroki, the playwright and director of "Full House", mentioned on his official blog (murakami.eplus2.jp) that he left for Hyôgo on May 21st:
お仕事とはいえ飛行機に乗るのはテンションが上がってしまう34歳。でも眠い!5時起き!
(rough translation) I'm 34 already and I still get excited when I take a plane even though this is a work trip. However, I'm sleepy! I got up at 5!
I wonder if they all went together: the actors, the director, and the staff. In that case Shoon might have been in Hyôgo for over a week now. And by this time the first performance (which was at 6PM) must be over.

The Hyogo Performing Arts Center is HUGE (see map below), though of course that is because it has a grand hall (for classical music concerts), a theatre hall, and a recital hall, plus restaurant, shop... and even a piazza with very tall columns that reminds me of an Egyptian temple.


The building is so different from the small, quaint Tokyo Globe. (click on the pics below to see them in full size - all open in a new window) And with that modern design it looks a bit imposing, doesn't it? XD

Hyogo Performing Arts Center interior of the HPAC piazza

Unfortunately the pictures of the theater area on the site are rather small. This is a view of the seats area:


And these are different views of the theater hall and adjoining areas. Kind of cold and impersonal, isn't it? Ah, I don't like modern architecture. XD;;;


Anyway, I'm sure Kazama, Machida, Yonehana, Shoon, and the audience laughter will make it a much warmer place during these three days. ^__^v

I wonder if they fared well with the first performance. It's been almost 3 weeks since the last Tokyo performance. I imagine this first one was a bit of a warming up for them. I hope a lot of people will go to see these 4 last performances. I need to make a proper post with all the info I've gathered from posts on Japanese blogs about the Tokyo performances, but I guess I'll wait till I've gathered enough tidbits about the Hyôgo ones too. =) For those of you who are not members of the Shoon community, the play is being a huge success. Also, according to all the people who've gone to see it, Shoon is doing a great job. ^__^v My friend Scribe, whom I deem as a highly objective person, actually thinks after seeing the play that "Shoon is currently the best actor among the juniors. Hands down". But... most important of all, Shoon is having loads of fun and learning a lot. =)

As a side note, Enshinge's translation of the crosstalk from the Full House pamphlet has made me wonder how exactly this play came to be. There's a moment in which Shoon tells Murakami-san: You’ve written this based on your images of us four, but I was wondering what kind of image you had of me.

This made me ponder because Shoon says Murakami-san wrote the play with the images of the four of them in mind. I mean... Was this play tailored to (as in "written expressly for") Kazama, Yonehana, Machida, and Shoon? Was Murakami-san thinking of them for the roles of this play, and then he presented the idea to Johnny's Entertainment? Or did Johnny's Entertainment ask him to write a play tailored to them? Somehow I think the first possibility is more unlikely, and if the second possibility is how it happened... Well, that would mean JE sees Shoon as a really important asset because, if they didn't, why would they ask a playwright to write a play with Shoon in the leading role right at the time when it was becoming obvious they needed to give Shoon some spotlight?

PS: I'm very excited and a bit nervous too. A friend of mine always says that when you're hoping something will happen you shouldn't tell anyone about it because then it's likely it won't happen. He's a bit superstitious, you see. XD Well, I guess I am too. Just a little though. But this would mean so much to me...
Therefore, I guess I'd better not say much. A small something might or might not have flown to Hyôgo today, and something might or might not happen. I know it sounds like a riddle, but please cross your fingers for me! =D
PS2: still have lots of comments to reply. m(_ _)m
PS3: For those of you who have endured this post until the end, here's a little prize: a couple of scans are a Stand by Me article from the 2003.08 issue of Top Stage. =) Just right-click on them to save the full size scans. Shoon looked so pixie-like back then. X3

Please credit me if you repost these elsewhere. Also... no hotlinking please. Thanks. =) Feel free to use them for icons, graphics, or to translate this article. Credits appreciated but not necessary.

2003.08 Top Stage  - yayayah8.blogspot.com 2003.08 Top Stage  - yayayah8.blogspot.com

山下翔央, Yamashita Shoon, Ya-Ya-yahPOST A COMMENT :: READ COMMENTS