May 02, 2008

the curtain rises

山下翔央, Yamashita Shoon, Ya-Ya-yah
I'm as nervous as if I was the one to stage the play. I've only acted once in my life, and that was when I was in university. We staged a scene of Shakespeare's Macbeth for a class assignment, and I played the role of Banquo, Macbeth's friend. You should have seen me, with my cloak and sword.

Anyway. Right now it's 7PM in Japan. The curtain is rising at The Tokyo Globe theatre. Shoon, Kazama, Yonehana, and Machida are about to start their first performance of Full House. And I want to cry for not being there. T__T Since the play was announced many times I've been on the brink of doing something stupid and romantic: getting a ticket even though it was impossible for me to go. That way there would have been an empty seat, and at least I would have been there in spirit. In the end common sense prevailed and I guess it's for the best, because I've seen some tickets go up to 16,000 yens at Yahoo!Japan auctions. [The original price of the tickets for the most expensive seats were 8000 yens] Besides I wasn't going to be able to go anyway, so it wouldn't have been fair to rob anybody who was of the chance to go.

I suppose I can still be there in spirit without a ticket, and I hope there won't be any empty seats. So far all the tickets up for auction have been sold or there's people bidding on them. =)

As a history teacher of mine used to say, imagination is the way of travelling for those who cannot travel, and one thing I have is a good imagination. That, coupled with some pictures I grabbed from the theatre's website should do the trick. ^__~ Want to come with me?

I don't know why they call it "The Globe Tokyo". It should be "The Tokyo Globe", or at least "The Globe, Tokyo". =/ It's inspired in The Globe, a theatre that was built in London by Shakespeare's company in the 16th century.

This is what the building looks like from the outside.

And this is the a picture of the poster that shows the play being currently staged. =) I grabbed this one from the blog of the play writer and director, Murakami Hiroki.

The theatre entrance...


And now we're inside, in the theatre lobby.


This is what the stage looks like from the seats area. I feel jealous but at the same time really happy to know a number of people who will be sitting there in the next days (Yui, Mabel, Aki, Scribe...). We want detailed reports from you! =D


And this is a photo taken from the stage. This is what Shoon will be seeing, only the seats won't be empty, of course. =)


This is his third time to stage a play in this theatre, so it should feel like home to him. [The first time was in 2003, when Ya-Ya-yah staged Stand by Me, and the second one the year after, 2004, when they staged the same play again.]

I imagine you're having stage nerves right now, Shoon, but I'm sure you'll do great. I send you all my strength and wish this play will be a HUGE success. 頑張って下さいね~ ♥ All the promotional stuff (articles, TV appearances, etc.) has been so much fun and so exciting. Here's hoping this will lead to even better things. =) *goes back to work*

PS: The counter I set up for the countdown wasn't working properly for some reason. As I was typing this it said there were still 7 hours to go before the curtain rises. ?__?

山下翔央, Yamashita Shoon, Ya-Ya-yahPOST A COMMENT :: READ COMMENTS